CASE #44
12 / 08 / 2020 – 14 / 08 / 2020
  • Undefined
Type of violation
  • Arbitrary or unlawful arrest and/or detention
  • Beating
  • Cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
  • Denial of appropriate conditions of detention
  • Denial of legal rights of arrested persons
  • Deprivation of food and/or water
  • Forced postures
  • Forced to sign unknown document(s)
  • Threats against victim's family and/or friends
  • Torture
  • Unlawful confiscation of property
International classification of violations
  • Prohibition of torture (standalone)
  • Prohibition of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment
  • Right to fair trial (procedural violations)
  • Right to liberty and security of person
  • Right to protection of property
  • Violation of rights of detained or imprisoned persons

Time: 5:30 PM

Place/Location: bus stop at Biersana str., near Belarussian IRS located on Miasnikova

Identity of the victim(s): Testimony #24

Other victims: Ukrainian citizens in Okhrestinoa; a journalist from Radio Svoboda. The victim witnessed a severely beaten man in need of immediate medical assistance, but the perpetrators refused.

Identity of the perpetrator(s): policemen, people in black (possibly OMON) in a silver car, employees of ROVD Moskovskij District; military servicemen

The police detained the victim when they saw a radio station box in his backpack. In a police car, the victim was forced to show the content of his phone. Upon a call issued by a policeman, a silver van with no license plate arrived with people dressed in black and covered with masks who took the victim in custody. During transportation, he was kept on the floor with his face down.

He was delivered to Moskovskij ROVD (2nd floor) where he was immediately beaten. He was then relocated to 4th Fl due to complaints of employees from the next door. The victim was continuously beaten and tortured. He was forced to stay on his hands and was subjected to sole canning. His girlfriend was physically threatened. The victim was forced to sign unknown documents. Then, he was marked with a yellow cross on his back and brought to a big room (gym) with other victims (two women, 15 to 20 men) whose number grew up to one hundred.

After several hours in an uncomfortable pose, he was transferred to a cell with no windows and beds. He was denied access to water, food, and sanitary facilities. He was transferred to Okhrestino the following day where he was kept with other inmates (30-40 people) in a small cell under the open sky until sunset.

At the time of relocation, victims were repeatedly hit by clubs. The victim was examined and summoned. No belongings were returned at the time of release. The victim remained in custody for about two days.

Share case