CASE #290
11 / 08 / 2020 – 14 / 08 / 2020
Homyel / Gomel
  • Militsiya of the Republic of Belarus (regular police of Belarus)
  • Special Purpose Police Unit OMON
Type of violation
  • Arbitrary or unlawful arrest and/or detention
  • Beating
  • Blows with batons and/or truncheons
  • Cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
  • Denial of appropriate conditions of detention
  • Deprivation of medical attention
  • No consultation with legal counsel permitted
  • Procedural violations
  • Sexual threats
  • Slapping, kicking or punching
  • Torture
  • Use of excessive force
International classification of violations
  • Prohibition of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment
  • Right to fair trial (procedural violations)
  • Right to freedom of peaceful assembly
  • Right to liberty and security of person
  • Violation of rights of detained or imprisoned persons

Time: undefined

Place/Location: Biletskaha Str. in front of Tsentralny Region Administration; AUS of Tsentralny District (Syalyanskaya Str 42)

Identity of the victim(s): Maksim Novikau

Identity of the perpetrator(s): undefined OMON officers; Alyaksandr Valyantynavich Shtrapau, Head of AUS (Internal Affairs Department) of Tsentralny District, his subordinates; judge Syarhey Salousky

Maksim Novikau was detained by OMON in Homyel at Biletskaha Str. in front of the Tsentralny District Administration (52.426731, 31.016514) on August 11, 2020. He did not take part in the demonstration. He was beaten in detention. In front of Tsentralnaye AUS, he, together with other detainees, was severely beaten by servicemen without insignia in black uniform and masks. Detainees were also subjected to cruel and degrading treatment. His friend, who was detained together with him, was burned his fingers with a lighter in the attempt of investigators to force him to sign some document. The victim was not allowed to make a change in protocol. He was threatened to be sexually assaulted.

The Head of Tsentralnaye AUS Shtrapau also participated in beating (blows to genitalia, put his leg onto the face, offence) trying to force the victim to sign papers with the false indictment. Then the victim was to lie face down in a hall where the beating continued. The victim was stripped to the naked; his scrotum was squeezed; he was beaten to genitalia. When he was moved to the detention centre, a female medical worker evaluated his injuries as minor and said that he was beaten too little.

The court proceeding in the detention centre was very short, a couple of minutes. Maksim was sentenced to 15 days of arrest as the result of an unfair trial. Before the release, on August 14, detainees were to sign a document warning that if they participate in protests again they will be subject to criminal prosecution. Maksim was released on the same day though he did not sign the document. In the hospital, he was diagnosed with spinal fracture, multiple massive hematomas, injuries of chest and share bone.

Share case